DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY
The Government of Tamil Nadu established the Thoothukudi Medical College on 16.08.2000. In July 2001, the first batch of 100 MBBS students started attending the classes in newly constructed building at 3rd Mile. Department of Pathology, Govt. Thoothukudi Medical College, Thoothukudi is a Under Graduate Department operating from 2000.
From 2005-2006 150 MBBS students/year trained by the teaching faculty of Pathology Department as per the MCI norms under the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University affiliation. In addition the DMLT students 100/year students are also trained in the Pathology Department every year.. Our department has state of art teaching facilities and has a long-term vision and big ambitions to be in the top most in the investigative pathology in our state.
The Govt. Thoothukudi Medical College Hospital caters the health need of people in and around Thoothukudi District. As a tertiary referral center all the cases from the nearby districts are referred to our hospital. All types of surgeries are done there and they are received in our department. Automated analysers for blood analysis, Analysers for coagulation profile, Histokinette, , FNAC and cryostat are the facilities available in our department.
Diagnostic works done in our department includes:
Histopathology : 5027/YearHaemotology : 880/YearCytology : 3239/YearClinical Pathology : 207573/YearClinical Post Mortem : 3/Year Forensic Histopathology: 100/year
Every month Journal Club with Teaching faculties, Seminar with UG Students ,clinic-pathological meet to discuss interesting and rare cases are held. Various research works in our department are also going on.
FACILITIES IN THE DEPARTMENT
1. Teaching faculty in our department includes Professors - 1, Associate Professor -3, Assistant Professor- 3 and Tutor -4.
2. Automated analysers for blood analysis, Analysers for coagulation profile, Histokinette, Automatic knife sharpener, FNAC and demonstration microscopes, Microscope with Microphotograph and CCTv demonstration apparatus are the facilities available in our department.
3. The department has its own library with all necessary books.
4. Histopathology, Gynaeco pathology, Cytopatology with a FNAC room, Hematopathology are the various reporting fields in our department.
5. The FNAC room with the staining facility operating in the hospital, which provides hands on training in the procedure and techniques involved.
6. Clinical hematology room in the hospital.
7. Morbid anatomy lab, Histopathology lab and Cytopathology labs are available
8. Research labs where special stains are done.
9. Four demonstration rooms with audio visual facilities for the students.
10. Students lab.
11. Autopsy block is available in the mortuary of our Hospital.
12. Staff rooms include separate rooms for the Professor and Associate Professors, Assistant Professor rooms, rooms for the tutors, office room and a separate provision for Lab technicians.
13. Pathology Museum is available.
14. Blood bank is operating in the Hospital.
Reporting slides Dr. G. Jeyanthi